Saturday, May 25, 2024

Day One, Testing the Fujifilm X100VI in Sydney 2024

 As some of you will already know, I received an X100VI for a 2 week loan/review. Actually, no one ever asked me to review the camera, the Fuji PR people just asked me if I would like to try it, for two weeks. My answer was yes! The camera arrived on Monday the 5th of April 2024. It was boxed, and already pre-loved, I was not first cab off the rank, so not quite brand spanking new but pretty damn close. In the box; camera, one battery, one USB cable, one camera strap, the total contents of the box. I had asked for a spare battery and the LENS SHADE, (accessory not included) and just like last time, I received neither. Oh well, I would just have to make do. Making do meant using my own batteries & charger, fine, the camera is compatible with the original XPro/XT series batteries, though it lasts longer with the newest iteration. Personally I think a lens shade is an absolutely essential piece of equipment. It protects the lens from bumps and scratches and improves colour saturation & contrast by reducing the amount of scattered light skimming across the front element of the lens, and reduces lens flare, critical with lenses that have that front element mounted far forward, not set back in a chunky BLACK lens body. The X100 series all have very front mounted lens elements. So for me, great lens coating or not, a lens shade is essential. I improvised by taking the bayonet-mount shade that came with my 18mm Fujinon, ran a strip of camera tape around the shades inside edge and pressed the shade onto the barrel of the X100VI as I had done with the X100F several years earlier. Perfect fit? well good enough.

photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.
Next I headed out into a beautiful sunny and clear Sydney day to give the camera a quick test before heading further afield. I chose a street I love when it is lit in full sun. All sorts of bright tones and deep dark shadows. I realised pretty quickly that the camera was not at factory default settings, and using the Q (Quick Menu) button dialled in, RAW + JPEG Fine (well usually I just shoot JPEG but its a camera test so RAW too - just in case). The picture format is set to 16:9 not 2:3 and the Film Emulation to Eterna(?) I leave them as is deciding to try out the previous camera testers settings. I'm shooting RAW so I can process the files to my preferred Fuji settings later if I want to, can't I? My first impression is that the EVF (Electronic View Finder) and the back of the camera screen are not as colour correct as my XT1, or maybe it's just the 'Eterna' film emulation or some other in-camera setting that is on that is not in the Q menu, something I might be missing, deep in a sub menu somewhere. Otherwise the screen and the EVF are good, the EVF is great actually, other than the colour which is not terrible just not what I expected - and first impression is that it is not as sharp as I would expect. But I'm not too concerned as I know the settings are not at default (I have set the dioptre on the eyepiece) and I am shooting RAW - so I will be able to check out all the settings from the camera on my computer later. I've been shooting with the Fujifilm X Series since 2012 so I feel pretty confident in finding my way around the cameras and the Fujifilm RAW files.

Fujifilm X100VI with 18mm Fujinon Lens Shade monted and camera strap fixed to one side of the body only.
Strapped, shaded and ready to go, the X100VI with the improvised Fujinon 18mm lens shade.

I decided to catch a bus out to Double Bay, wander around Redleaf Pool and walk back to Kings Cross, testing the camera in as wide a variety of shooting conditions as I can find. I leave the format at 16:9, why not, I'm shooting RAW, I can recover the rest later... if I want. The joystick (new for me) on the back which moves the focus point about is very sensitive and very fast! No need to activate it first, and the focus, is very fast, and very accurate. I notice this from the start and it does not take me long to get the adapt to the sensitivity of the joystick. It's very welcome.

The Golden Sheaf Hotel, front of the hotel in full sun, photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.
The Golden Sheaf Hotel, 'Camera JPEG' with Perspective Correction (PC)

Most of the pictures shown here are from the full resolution Camera JPEG* (7322 px wide scaled down to 1836 wide - scaled in Nikon View NXD, watermarked in Photoshop and saved at level 8) You can click on the images to see them at the full presentation size of 1836 pixels on the long side, on a large monitor

Most images are Camera JPEGS, only a few of the images have post processing in Photoshop (PS), some have been cropped (Crp), some perspective correction (PC) as will be noted in the image caption. I typically post process all my pictures, but it's important to understand what comes out of the camera to work with so I've included some comparison pictures.

Old commercial building and orange construction cloth on New South Head Road, Double Bay, Sydney
Old building and orange construction cloth, New South Head Road, Double Bay, Sydney

Vintage apartment tower block on New South Head Road, Double Bay photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.
While using the EVF I notice the playback frame that pops up after a shot includes a tiny 100% detail at in it's own rectangle at the bottom of the frame which confirmed the shot really was in focus. At first I thought what the... is that in the frame, then I thought it was stupid and immediately wanted to get rid of it, then I got used to it and thought it was a great addition to the EVF - or was it the OVF?  Unfortunately within a few days I had switched off the function and never recovered it! I also attempted to turn on the grid lines which I use in my other cameras but was never able to get them to light up. I remember having had trouble with previous Fuji's but eventually worked it out, not this time. 
View of Murray Rose Pool through trees from above. Photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.

A spider as large as a big thumbnail(?) in close focus -  -  photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.
A spider as large as a big thumbnail(?) in close focus, Macro possibilities photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI at Blackburn Gardens (Crp PS)

Lavender growing in the park at Blackburn Gardens. Photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.

Lavender growing in the park and a view of Redleaf pool from Blackburn Gardens. Photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.
Blackburn Gardens (PS)

Rowboats and watercraft stowed against a wall on Seven Shillings Beach photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.. Photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.
 Green foliage and sky at Seven Shillings Beach
Rowboats and watercraft stowed against a wall on Seven Shillings Beach photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.

Three youths on the sand at Redleaf Beach photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.
Youths - Redleaf Beach (Crp)

RFedleaf pool with the afternoon sun and a view of Darling Point. Photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.
Murray Rose Pool - Redleaf (Crp)

A woman looks out at Redleaf pool from the deck of the cafe. photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.
The Focus on the X100VI is lightening fast. For the shot above I must have been focusing on the chairs on the right. A woman with her kids walked into the frame as I was snapping away. The focus pulled back to her, closer to the camera, perfect focus Already, this was not the first time I'd noticed the speed of focus, but this was exceptional. If not a great shot, thus the frame above I was setting up for.

Murray Rose pool 'Redleaf' cropped from the full frame below. Photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.
Murray Rose pool 'Redleaf' cropped from the full frame below (Crp + PS) 4741 x 3136 pixels remaining. That 40.2 Meg sensor adds versatility to the fixed lens.

Two swimmers in the Murray Rose pool 'Redleaf', Double Bay. Photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.
Murray Rose pool 'Redleaf' Camera JPEG as shot 7728 X 5152 pixels

Chir Pine - Double Bay Tree Trail - Redleaf. Photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.
Chir Pine - Double Bay Tree Trail - Redleaf

Substation, Double Bay in late afternoon light. Photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.
Substation, Double Bay - Camera JPEG

Mother in laws tongue, plant in Urn in front of brick apartments. Photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.
Camera JPEG Hi Neg Pro + (PS) High Pass & Curves.

Port Jackson Fig Trees, Steyne Park, Double Bay panorama. Photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.
Port Jackson Fig Trees, Steyne Park, Double Bay, Cropped to Panorama (Crp)

Apartment block and half a moon in Darling Point, Sydney. Photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.

A cut and trimmed hedge in Darling Point, Sydney. Photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.

Paperbark Trees, Long Shadow Selfie, Darling Point (Duotone PS). Photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.
Paperbark Trees, Long Shadow Selfie, Darling Point (Duotone PS)

Harbour Bridge and Apartment Block, Annandale St, Darling Point. Photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.
Harbour Bridge and Apartment Block, Annandale St, Darling Point (PS)

Harbour Bridge and Apartment Block (2) Annandale St, Darling Point. Photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.
Harbour Bridge and Apartment Block, Annandale St, Darling Point (Original File)

A white fence on steep Loftus St, Darling Point photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.
Loftus St, Darling Point (PS)

Looking up at a Spanish Mission style apartment block, stairs and angles, Loftus St, Darling Point photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.
Stairs and Angles, Loftus St, Darling Point (PS, PC, Crp)


Looking up at a Spanish Mission style apartment block (2) stairs and angles, Loftus St, Darling Point photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.
Stairs and Angles, Loftus St, Darling Point - Camera JPEG

Morton Bay Fig, Late Afternoon, Rushcutters Bay Park, photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.
Morton Bay Fig, Late Afternoon, Rushcutters Bay Park

Detail of men and a dog on the playing fields at Rushcutters Bay Park photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.
Rushcutters Bay Park (Crp + PS Curves)

Under a Port Jackson Fig tree, men and a dog on the playing fields at Rushcutters Bay Park photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.

Coke Sign & half the Moon, dusk approaching, Kings Cross, Sydney. Photographed with the Fujifilm X100VI by Kent Johnson.
Coke Sign & half the Moon, dusk approaching.

RAW Converter EX 3.0 Powered by Silkypix says NO!

Back at my computer. Even before I attempted my first RAW file conversion, I updated to the latest version of the Official, FREE, Fujifilm X-Series RAW file converter and all I got was a black screen and an error message - it would not even show the camera JPEGs - WTF!!!

Screenshot of a RAW processing Error message

I don't think I'm unusual here in first thinking that, maybe I have done something wrong. So I reboot the computer and try again. Nothing changes. I check the Silkypix website - again, and confirm that the latest version I have downloaded supports the X100VI. Check I've installed the latest version not reinstalled the one I already had. Yes, I've done it all correctly. The software does not work! I search the web and find just one or two references to Silkypix not supporting the latest version of the X100VI RAW file - it's not me, it's them.

Fujifilm RAW Studio Converter interface, screenshots

Even though this is still a very new camera, it tells me three things and I am shocked by all of them. First that software has been passed as working with the X100VI when it is not actually working - NOT EVEN THE JPEGS SHOW - which is pretty bad, terrible in fact. The second is that there are so few complaints on message boards about this failure of the software. So few that, either people using the X100VI are not shooting RAW, so haven't tired converting with R.C. 3.0 Silkypix. Or, those that are shooting RAW are not using the FREE dedicated software 'RAW Converter EX 3.0 Powered by Silkypix' to convert their RAW files. Well I'm shocked, but I am not surprised. I am used to the idea that 'everyone' seems to do all their editing in Lightroom - and I do read on the same message boards and blogs that Lightroom works for converting the X100VI RAW files. 

Now, I don't use Lightroom, I might go into why I don't, sometime in the future if anyone really cares; but I do have Affinity Photo, the affordable photoshop and it's up-to-date and it converts RAW files too, so I decide to give it a go. And it works fine. Or it looks like it works fine. It sees the RAW file, well that's a start! It lets me make adjustments and I can export the result. What it does not do is let me use the unique Fujifilm settings (or Film Emulations) as they were in-the-camera! So I dig around the internet a little more and I find out that Fujifilm - not Silkypix - have come up with a solution to the in-camera-settings RAW-Conversion problem (keep in mind that the film emulations you can set in-camera are part of what draws many users to the X-series cameras and the X100s in particular).  The solution is called Fujifilm X RAW Studio and at first glance it looks like a good solution, but it's a solution for a problem that shouldn't exist.

Fujifilm X100VI RAW file conversion comparisons
X100VI file conversion L to R Eterna - Pro Neg Hi & Affinity Photo RAW Conversion

To use Fujifilm X RAW Studio simply install the software and plug your camera into your computer - because even though you have a fast, powerful, photography workhorse of a computer - it's the X100VI processor that is going to be converting those files for you - looping in and out of the computer along that USB cable the Data will go! But You MUST use the same model of camera that made the RAW file in the first place!!! No original camera, No Fujifilm X RAW Studio file converting. I am sorry Fujifilm, but this camera/software interface is slow and clunky - does not batch process - and it is not a solution. In the real world cameras get sold, cameras die, cameras are hired or borrowed, and even if not right now, RAW files may be edited YEARS after the original camera has long since disappeared. This is not an archival solution for photographers and photography, this is a camera manufacturers admission that there is no solution at all...

Now for the GOOD NEWS - about half way though my loan of the X100VI, Silkypix released an updated version of 'RAW Converter EX 3.0 Powered by Silkypix' Version:8.1.15.0 and the initial problems I encountered have been corrected. The RAW Converter now sees all the RAW and JPEG files from the X100VI and while it recognises some of the in-camera settings and includes the full compliment of Film Emulations, it does not completely mirror all the cameras settings (there is no 'grain' which is now an in-camera sub menu setting as is on-the-fly skin smoothing - I found them both and turned them off)  So it would seem that the only way to take full advantage of all the possible camera settings is to make sure you keep your camera and use the workaround solution - Fujifilm X RAW Studio. Sad Emoji Face!

Comparison, with grain and without grain
Comparison, with grain & skin smoothing and without 

Shops, McElhone St, Woolloomooloo
Shops, McElhone St, Woolloomooloo - Pro Neg.Std

Summing Up Day 1

I am a manual exposure, manual white balance shooter, and back in the day, manual focus too. I don't like fiddling in menus. To use the X100VI is pretty simple. ISO is activated by pulling up on the shutter speed dial and twisting to set. Shutter speed, same deal, twist don't pull up. F stops are on the lens barrel. The Q button top right hand side of the back of the camera gives easy access to white balance and film emulation settings along with a few other important, basic settings like file formats. I did find myself activating the Q menu a lot by accident when I was lifting the camera - but that is something I think would stop happening with continued regular use.. 

The handling of the camera itself was a dream, at least as I became used to the sensitivity of the focus joystick. Considering I simply stepped outside with a few batteries and started shooting, things went very well. For a Fuji shooter, even if some things may be laid out a little different, the way things work is familiar and easy. The only disappointment was to find out Silkypix did not work - since resolved as detailed above - and having to spend an hour or so converting the 300+ frames I shot to Hi Neg Std 3:2/normal ratio from the 16:9 format - and to get rid of the Grain setting and Skin Smoothing that were on and are buried in a sub menu. The pictures above are from that conversion process using Fujifilm X RAW Studio (not a happy experience). I ran the first battery after 200 or so frames, I also found the wireless file transfer settings on, and turned them off - set the power usage (sub menu) to economy. On subsequent uses I got a lot more frames to a fully charged battery.

The quality of the 40.2 meg sensor is superb. I've included plenty of late afternoon low light, shade and shadow pictures to attest to the quality of the sensor and it's processor. View on a calibrated monitor, click the shots and you will see them large. If you missed my first post about an afternoon shooting urban architecture in Newtown, shooting urban architecture in Newtown, Sydney, you can click here  Want to see how far Fujifilm have come with the X Series? You can read my review of the X Pro 1 from 2012 here.

Be sure to bookmark Street Fashion Sydney, more shots and information on the shooting with the X100VI to come.

*All these 'camera files' were created converting the RAW files using Fujifilm X RAW Studio which uses the camera itself to create the JPEG file with the exact same in-camera menu settings.


https://streetfashionsydney.blogspot.com/2024/05/my-love-affair-with-fujifilm-x100vi-in.html


Special thanks to to Fujifilm PR at Campaign Lab.

Telling Stories in Pictures all over..

Kent Johnson, Sydney, Australia.
0433 796 863

No comments: