Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Desperately Seeking Cate Blanchett - Sydney Film Festival 2011

What really* happens during a Red Carpet film launch...

Chinese Media Delegation - Photo by Kent Johnson. Sydney Film Festival 2011 A_600_1161
Actor, Damian Walshe-Howling in Rocky tee shirt - Photo by Kent Johnson. B_600_1305
Photographer with big lens, Sydney Film Festival 2011 - Photo by Kent Johnson. C_600_6030
Actor, Anna McGahan, Black Lace Dress - Photo by Kent Johnson. Sydney Film Festival 2011 D_600_6055
Actor, Matt Day red carpet at the Sydney Film Festival 2011 - Photo by Kent Johnson.  E_600_6073
Actors, Michelle Vergara Moore, John Winter, Maia Thomas, Katherine Hicks and Anya Beyersdorf - Photo by Kent Johnson. Sydney Film Festival 2011 F_600_5932
Actor, Sophie Lowe, Floral Dress Sydney Film Festival
Group of four actors Sydney Film Festival Red Carpet - Photo by Kent Johnson.  2011, H_600_5974
Best Dressed male actor Sydney Film Festival - Photo by Kent Johnson. I_600_5986
Sydney Film Festival 2011, actor April Rose Pengilly - Photo by Kent Johnson.  J_600_1205
Actors, Phoebe Tonkin, Hatty Dolton &  Zhu Lin, Zoo Lim - Photo by Kent Johnson. Sydney Film Festival 2011 K_600x3_1283
An excited bystander, sydney film festival red carpet - Photo by Kent Johnson.  L_600_6048
Actor, Cate Blanchett and Film Festival Director Clare Stuart, Sydney Film Festival 2011 - Photo by Kent Johnson.  M_600_6107

I can't believe it has been a whole year since I last helped out my mate (we will call him Bob for this post) shooting the red carpet for the Sydney Film Festival. This year he could not make it at all and sent me along in his place. Yes its true; you need to be there at least an hour before the scheduled *start* of the whole shebang and then probably a good two odd hours before its all over.

Seasoned Pros just zone-out and check their phones from time to time but what is interesting is that there really is a bit of talking going on between the celebrities on 'the carpet' and the media in the corral! And of course the big celebrity of the night was Cate Blanchett and she was the main reason about half of the media where there.

Of course I did not get there early because I am VERY tall and can shoot over the top of even the very LARGE photographer I did choose to stand behind. But this did make it tricky to get a shot off of Cate when she did come at a somewhat different pace and rhythm to all who had come before-and the photographers pit did go crazy!

No one actually said the things I have 'speech ballooned' them with but... everyone in the pit was very much wondering about Cate, when, if; have you got a good shot before; Cate, Cate, Cate... So I have had a bit of fun with that! Some fabulous frocks and the men by and large were very well turned out fashion wise as well; so many more shots I could have shown. Oh and April; so sorry, I just couldn't resist, and your dress was so lovely too.

Enjoy; and till next time...

3 comments:

Dusk said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!! What a brilliant post Kent! Very funny!!
...and your photo of Cate is superb!! I love it! Enigmatic.

Lee Oliveira said...

hahahaha.. I need to laugh this much..
love their comments
lee x

Herdiana Surachman said...

hahahah what is all about, LOL i can't stop laughing, damn it hahahaha

HS