Sunday, July 13, 2014

Is it Art? Or is it an Art Handbag Abstraction?

Friday night I popped into Sarah Cottier Gallery in Paddington for the current double header show, John Spiteri in gallery 1 and Huseyin Sami showing in gallery 2. As much as I enjoyed the abstract canvases in gallery 1; it was the thick and colourful slumped-vinyl-paint 'canvases' of Huseyin's works that really caught my eye. Why? Well initially I liked the idea that there were these handbag-like artworks on the wall in rather nice colour schemes (or colorways as they now say in the design/fashion trade (I have so have never liked that term))... And, after I had been introduced to Husyin I asked him if he would mind if I referred to the works as 'Art Handbags', he sort of laughed and smiled. Thank you Husyin for humouring me and thank you for your show 'The art of ending a conversation'. Well I wonder what that's about!  Anyway, I loved the show and our man was charming and there's my portrait below too; it's on now until the 2nd of August.

Huseyin Sami Wire Colour Hang (PPGB)  2014  acrylic on wire

Huseyin Sami Wire Colour Hang (WGB)  2014  acrylic on wire

Huseyin Sami Wire Colour Hang (GAWB)  2014  acrylic on wire

Portrait of Huseyin Sami at the opening of 'The art of ending a conversation' Sarah Cottier Gallery, Photographed by Kent Johnson for Street Fashion Sydney.

Installation shot, Huseyin Sami's 'The art of ending a conversation' Sarah Cottier Gallery,

His and Her Black coats and RM Willimas Boots, Sarah Cottier Gallery.

www.huseyinsami.com/
www.sarahcottiergallery.com/Huseyin_Sami/The_art_of_ending_a_conversation.htm



No comments: